Alternative Council Tax Reduction (Second Adult Rebate)

You may be able to get a reduction on your Council Tax bill if you live with an adult who is 18 years old or over and is on a low income.

When you can claim

You can claim Second Adult Rebate if you pay Council Tax and share your home with one or more persons over the age of 18 they:

  • are not paying you rent for living in your home
  • do not have to pay Council Tax
  • are not your spouse or partner
  • have a low gross income

You must be the person who is liable to pay Council Tax to apply for the second adult.

If your circumstances mean that you qualify for both Second Adult Rebate and Council Tax Reduction then you will be paid whichever of these reductions is the highest. You will not receive both.

When you can't claim

You can't claim for the second adult if it is your partner who is living in your property, unless they are not counted for Council Tax.

How the Alternative Council Tax Reduction is calculated

We calculate this by a different method to the main Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

Second Adult Rebate is calculated using combined gross income of second adults living in the property. It is awarded on a percentage basis of your Council Tax Bill.

Any of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Job Seeker's Allowance (Income Based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
  • Pension Credit
  • Attendance Allowance, or
  • Disability Living Allowance

If you qualify for Second Adult Rebate, we will reduce your Council Tax bill by 25%, 15% or 7.5%. This depends on the second adult's income. If their income is too high, you will not qualify. You may still qualify for a Council Tax Reduction under the main scheme.