Homelessness, affordable housing, council and social housing, housing support and grants, private tenants, private landlords, empty homes and community-led Housing.

Housing services

Housing services provide help and support to landlords and tenants, as well as those seeking a permanent home and rough sleepers.

Affordable housing

How to apply for affordable housing buying or renting, affordable housing grants, our grants policy and information on custom and self build homes.

Council housing

Council housing is only available in the Barrow and Eden areas. There is social housing in South Lakeland which is owned and provided by housing associations.

Empty homes

Empty homes can have a negative impact on a local community. There are a number of ways a property can be brought back into use.

Homeless and sleeping rough

We have a duty to try and prevent homelessness and provide facilities for rough sleepers during periods of extreme cold weather.

Disabled Facilities Grants

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) are available to allow you to stay safely in your own home. There may be other grants available in your area.

Housing support

Housing support details the support and care in your own home. It also tells you about other housing options that may suit you, if you can no longer live in your own home.

Private landlords

Advice for private landlords of housing in multiple occupation and other types of housing.

Private tenants

Advice for tenants who are renting privately, on deposits, rent, complaints, arrears, evictions and more.