Permits and licences to place things in the street

Portable traffic signals, objects such as building materials and private apparatus, such as drains, cables and gas pipes.


How to apply for a permit to temporarily place the following items in the street:

Skips, scaffolding and hoardings

If you want to place a skip, scaffolding or hoarding in the street, you need to apply for a skip, scaffolding or hoarding permit.

Roads managed by National Highways  

National Highways look after 5 major roads in Cumbria:

  • M6
  • A66
  • A595 - from the A66 to Calder Bridge
  • A590
  • A69 - from Carlisle M6, Junction 43, heading east

Applications for permits and licences on any of these roads should be submitted directly to National Highways.