Make a change to a registration

How to make a change to a birth registration.

If there is a mistake on the birth certificate, you can apply to correct a birth registration.

To discuss a correction or change to a completed birth registration, you also contact us.

Westmorland and Furness Registration service


Telephone: 0300 373 3300


To make a correction or a change there will be a fee. Payment of this fee does not guarantee the correction will be granted and fees paid will not be refunded if the request is denied.

Change your child’s first name

You can also apply to change your child's first name after the birth has been registered.