Appeal an exemption, liability or discount decision

You can appeal against a decision on your Council Tax.

When to appeal

If you have applied for a discount or exemption, and have been advised that you are not entitled, you must first notify us if you think this is incorrect.

If you think you are not liable to pay Council Tax and wish to appeal because, for example:

  • you are not the resident or owner
  • your property is exempt
  • we have made a mistake calculating your bill

You must first notify us in writing giving reasons why you are unhappy with the decision.

How to appeal

You should continue to pay your Council Tax bill while your appeal is outstanding. Any overpayment will be refunded in full if your appeal is successful.

Email the Council Tax team in your area quoting your Council Tax reference number and explain the reasons why you are unhappy with our decision.

Email the Council Tax team in your area:

If you are still unhappy with our decision

You can then appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service.

Appeal to the Valuation Tribunal on their website

Contact the Council Tax team