GCSE results day arrives for students in Westmorland and Furness

Students receiving their results

The wait is finally over for (16-year-olds) students in Westmorland and Furness who today receive their GCSE examination results.

Naturally, today will be marked by contrasting emotions, with some young people celebrating and others not getting the results they were hoping for. Whatever the result, all students should be congratulated for their exceptional efforts in what has been a unique and challenging few years.

Cllr Sue Sanderson, Westmorland and Furness Council’s Cabinet Member for Children's Services, Education and Skills, said:

“Results day is always a day of excitement, high emotions and mixed feelings depending upon individual results. I want to take this opportunity to congratulate our young people on all their hard work.

“Whatever you decide to do next, know that whatever your results there are still plenty of opportunities available to you – including with us here at the council. Each year we announce our apprenticeship opportunities and have numerous jobs available right now with excellent progression opportunities.”

“I also want to take this opportunity to say thank you to all the head teachers, teachers, parents and carers for their support to our young people over the last few months.”

Milorad Vasic, Westmorland and Furness Council’s Director of Children's Services, said:

“I want to congratulate our young people on all their hard work and I am immensely proud of everyone’s efforts.

“Whatever your results it is now time for you to focus on the future and the opportunities which lie ahead. I wish all our students every success as they embark on this exciting next step in their lives and careers.

“If you’re unsure about what to do next, parents, carers or pupils can contact the National Careers Service Exam Results Helpline on 0800 100 900.”

If you're unhappy with your GCSE grade, you should first talk to your school or college. If you still think you've been unfairly graded after a review, you can ask your school or college to appeal.