Building control applications

Make an application online, information about paper based applications and regularisation applications.

The building control process

What you need to do to get your project through building control.

  1. Check if building control applies for the work you want to do.
  2. Make a building control application.
  3. Check our fees and how to make payment
  4. Contact us 48 hours before starting your building work and to arrange site visits so our surveyor can inspect the work as it progresses.
  5. After the completion inspection, if work meets the requirements of Building Regulations, we will issue either a confirmation notice or a completion certificate.

Check if building control applies

If you are doing building work yourself, you need to know about the building regulatory system. You are responsible for making sure that the work complies with the building regulations.

If you employ a builder they are usually responsible for making sure that their work complies with building regulations.

These projects are 'building work' and building regulations would apply:

  • putting up a new building or extending a building
  • installing or extending services or fittings that are controlled under the regulations
  • alteration projects involving work which temporarily or permanently affect the ongoing compliance of the building, service or fitting with the requirements relating to structure, fire, or access to and use of buildings
  • putting insulation into a cavity wall
  • underpinning foundations
  • work affecting the thermal elements, energy status or energy performance of a building

Before starting work you should look at Regulation 3 of the Building Regulations for the full meaning of 'building work'.

If you are unsure please contact Building Control.

You can find out if you need to apply for building control using the Planning Portal interactive house.

It's illegal to not tell us about your building work. You might have to correct the work or pay a fine if you do not tell us about it

Building control exemptions

Building regulations allow some work to be done without going through the Building Regulation process. It is advisable to contact our building control team to find out if the work you are doing is exempt.

Breaches of building regulations

If you do not follow the building control procedures or carry out building work that doesn’t comply with building regulations, you will have breached the regulations.

We have a duty to enforce the building regulations.

In most cases we try to do this informally. If informal enforcement doesn’t work we have enforcement powers that we can use:

  • we can prosecute in the Magistrates' Court where an unlimited fine may be imposed (sections 35 and 35A of the Building Act 1984). Prosecution is possible up to two years after the completion of the offending work. This action will usually be taken against the person carrying out the work (builder, installer or main contractor)
  • we can serve an enforcement notice (called a ‘section 36 enforcement notice') on the building owner requiring alteration or removal of work which contravenes the regulations (section 36 of the 1984 Act). If the owner does not comply with the notice we have the power to undertake the work and recover the costs from the owner
  • a Section 36 enforcement notice cannot be served on you after the 12 months from the date of completion of the building work
  • We can’t take enforcement action under section 36 if the work which you have carried out is in accordance with your full plans application that we approved or failed to reject


You can apply for a Regularisation Certificate if you have carried out work without: Authorisation, submitting any plans or giving us notice.

We will carry out inspections to find out if your work complies with Building Regulations. This might involve:

  • opening up of works
  • carrying out tests and sampling of materials

We will then let you know if any more work is needed to meet building regulation standards. When the work has been done, or if no further work is necessary, we will issue a Regularisation Certificate. There is no legal requirement to apply for a Regularisation Certificate but there is a legal requirement to comply with Building Regulations. We can’t accept Regularisation applications for electrical work.

Appeals against building regulations enforcement

An appeal against a Section 36 notice may be made to a Magistrates’ Court under section 102 of the Building Act.

Make a building control application

Applications can be made via

Alternatively, you can also make an application using a paper form.

Application for building control approval with full plans

Suitable for domestic or commercial works and includes plans, specifications and sometimes structural calculations. 

Full plans applications should include: 

Building notice application 

For people experienced in construction doing uncomplicated domestic work. 

Building notice applications should include: 

Regularisation application 

When you have carried out work to your property and were then told that you needed approval. They are only applicable to work carried out on, or after, 11 November 1985.

Regularisation applications should include:

Completion certificate

A person who is required by Regulation 12 to give a building notice or an application for building control approval with full plans for carrying out building work shall, not more than five days after that work has been completed, give the local authority notice which complies with Regulation 16 paragraph (4A).

Regulation 16(4A) Completion Notice (DOC / 195KB)

If you don't keep your building control documents safe there may be a problem when you come to sell your property.

Your building control completion certificate or confirmation notice are extremely important documents, they should be kept in a safe place.

When you come to sell your property you will need to provide evidence that any alterations have been done in accordance with building regulations.

Order a copy of building control documents.