How to give us notice before a demolition including permission, forms, fees, health and safety advice and party walls.

Carrying out demolition work

If you plan to carry out demolition work you may need planning permission and depending on the size of the building you would need to notify us in advance.

Some demolitions may require planning permission.

Arranging a demolition

If you want to demolish a building or part of a building greater than 50m3 in volume (exemptions apply), you must give us six weeks notice by either:

Building Control contact details

You'll also need to send us:

  • a location plan of the building and adjoining streets
  • a method statement for the demolition of larger buildings
  • a block plan outlining the building(s) to be demolished

There is a fee of £162.

Once we have received your notice we may need to carry out a site inspection. We will then serve a Counter Notice. This sets out the conditions for doing the demolition.

We send copies to utility service companies, gas, water and electricity suppliers and adjoining owners.

We will arrange payment of your fee.

You can begin work after you have received the Counter Notice, or six weeks after you sent us the notice.

In some cases agreement must be reached with adjoining owners, see the Party Wall Act.

Demolition safety

Safe demolitions best practice, Health and Safety Executive