Elections - May 2024

Information about the Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner (PFCC) election, local by-elections and Parish Council elections.

Cumbria Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner election

On the 2 May 2024 there will be elections for the Cumbria Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner (PFCC).

The PFCC covers the whole of Cumbria. If you live in the Cumberland Council area visit the Cumberland Council website.

PFCC Notice of Election - Cumbria (PDF , 69KB)

Candidates' details are published in the Statement of Persons Nominated for the PFCC election May 2024 (PDF , 108KB).

The names and contact addresses of the candidates' election agents are published in the Notice of Appointment of Election Agents (PDF , 64KB).

By-elections and Parish elections

Grange and Cartmel By-election

A by-election will be held on 2 May for the Grange and Cartmel ward of Westmorland and Furness Council.

The candidates for the Grange and Cartmel ward election have been announced. A poll will take place on Thursday 2 May 2024.

Voters in these areas will receive two ballot papers at the polling station. Postal voters in Grange and Cartmel will receive a separate postal vote pack for this election.

Notice of Election - Grange and Cartmel ward (PDF , 109KB)

Candidates' details are published in the Statement of Persons Nominated for the Grange and Cartmel Ward election May 2024 (PDF , 215KB).

Parish Council elections

Parish Council elections are taking place in some areas. After the close of nominations the following areas have polls on Thursday 2 May 2024:

  • Penrith Town Council – Penrith West ward
  • Staveley-in-Cartmel Parish Council
  • Ulverston Town Council – all wards

Voters in these areas will receive two ballot papers at the polling station. Postal voters in these parishes will receive a separate postal vote pack for this election.

In all other parish councils, anyone who has stood for election is elected without a contest.

Notice of Election - Parish Councillors (PDF , 137KB) outlines which parish areas will have elections.

Candidates' details are published, by parish in alphabetical order - a parish per page, in the Statement of Persons Nominated for the Parish Council elections election May 2024 (PDF , 492KB).

Information for candidates

The Cumbria Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner (PFCC) website has more details for candidates who may want to stand for election.

Candidates who wish to stand for election for Grange and Cartmel ward, or for a scheduled parish council election should contact the Kendal team for more information.

Candidates interested in standing for the Penrith Town Council by-election should contact the Penrith team for more information.

The Notice of Election for all elections has been published and outlines where to deliver nomination papers. Nominations must be delivered by hand by 4pm on Friday 5 April 2024.

Barrow office
Email: elections1@westmorlandandfurness.gov.uk 
Telephone: 01229 876 318

Penrith office
Email: elections2@westmorlandandfurness.gov.uk
Telephone: 01768 817 817

Kendal office
Email: elections3@westmorlandandfurness.gov.uk
Telephone: 01539 793 197

The Electoral Commission publish guidance for candidates for all types of election: Guidance: Candidate or agent

Key dates for these elections

Some key dates for these elections are:

  • 16 April (12 midnight) - deadline for signing up to be on the register of electors
  • 17 April (5pm) - deadline for receiving new postal vote and proxy postal applications, and for changes to existing postal or proxy votes
  • 24 April (5pm) - deadline for receiving applications for Voter Authority Certificates
  • 24 April (5pm) - deadline for new applications to vote by proxy
  • emergency proxies: deadline 5pm 2 May

Registering to vote

If you are not on the electoral register already, you will have to register to vote. It is particularly important you make sure you are registered if you have:

  • recently moved house within the area, or moved to the Cumberland area
  • recently turned 18

How to register to vote

Proxy and Postal voting

Apply for a proxy vote

Apply for a postal vote

If you have a postal vote:

  • please leave plenty of time for posting it back to us in the envelope provided
  • we recommend you post your vote rather than hand deliver it to our offices
  • please do not use the letter boxes at our offices to post your postal vote, as your vote will not count

The rules on postal voting have changed and we have to keep a record of every postal vote that is handed to a member of staff at one of our offices.

Changes to postal vote arrangements

New rules have been introduced to support the security of postal voting at elections.

If you have an existing postal vote, or as a registered elector, you apply for a postal vote for the elections on 2 May, these new rules will apply.

Anyone returning a postal vote by hand to the Local Returning Officer must complete a postal vote return form. A postal vote returned by hand that is not accompanied by a postal vote return form will be rejected. There are also new limits on the number of postal votes that can be handed in by one person.

Postal voters are encouraged to use the Royal Mail envelope provided with the postal vote pack, where ever possible.

Electors who wish to hand their postal vote in at the polling stations or designated council offices must complete a postal vote return form for the postal vote to be accepted.

At polling stations: Presiding Officers and Clerks will have the necessary form to be completed at the polling station.

Council Offices: Signage will be in place at each office to tell electors where they need to go to complete the form necessary for them to hand their postal vote in.

Postal votes should not be put through the letter boxes or internal mail boxes in the buildings as these will have to be rejected.

Voter ID

In the UK you are legally required to show photo identification (ID) when voting at a polling station at this election.

Examples of photo ID

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable. You can use any of the following:

  • Passport
  • Driving licence (including provisional license)
  • Blue badge
  • Certain concessionary travel cards
  • Identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • Biometric Immigration document
  • Defence identity card
  • Certain national identity cards

You will only need to show one form of photo ID, but it needs to be the original version and not a photocopy. The name on your ID must be the same name you used to register to vote.

If you don't have an accepted form of photo ID

If you don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you’re not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. 

Apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate.

If you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate or want to request an application form, contact our elections team by email at               .

The deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate for use at a particular election is 5pm, six working days before the date of that election.

For more information, including the full list of accepted forms of photo ID, visit the Electoral Commission website or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.