Making a complaint about a councillor

Councillors have to comply to a code of conduct. You can complain about a Councillor if you think they have not complied with the code of conduct.

The Code of Conduct in set out in part four of the Council Constitution.

Anyone can report a breach of the Code of Conduct by a Councillor. The complaint must relate to a District, Town or Parish Councillor.

If you want to make a complaint about the conduct of an elected or co-opted member of Westmorland and Furness Council or a member of a town or parish council within our area, you should read and complete the below complaint form and submit it to:

Councillor complaint form (PDF , 269KB)

Complete the form carefully so that the Monitoring Officer has all the information they needed to process your complaint.

The Monitoring Officer will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within five working days of receiving it, and will keep you informed of progress.

The Monitoring Officer can only deal with complaints about the alleged behaviour and conduct of a member. They will not deal with complaints about the council as a whole, or any of the council’s departments or matters not covered by the code of conduct. These complaints are dealt with by a separate process, you can make a complaint against the council.