Make a claim for Housing Benefit

When you can claim, how to make a claim for Housing Benefit and supporting documentation you need to provide.

How to make a claim

You will need to claim in the area you live in.

Any documents you need to bring with you will normally be approved and photocopied.

Find out what supporting documents you need to provide.

If you send your application form through the post any documents you send will be verified, photocopied and returned to you on the day we receive them. We have strict procedures in place for registering and returning documents sent by post.

If you do not provide the right supporting documents with your application it could delay you receiving your benefit.

Barrow area

Eden and South Lakeland area

You must make your claim in writing. An application form is available from us, The Pension Service, or Jobcentre Plus.


Telephone: 0300 373 3300
Address: Westmorland and Furness Council, Town Hall, Corney Square, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7QF

South Lakeland

Telephone: 01539 733 333
Address: South Lakeland House, Lowther Street, Kendal, Cumbria LA9 4DQ

If you need help claiming benefits

If you need help claiming benefits or advice we offer a visiting service providing you are unable to call at the Customer Services in person due to:

  • illness
  • bereavement
  • disability
  • being classed as being a vulnerable person

The visiting officer can also check or collect any documents required in connection with your Benefit claim or for Council Tax Reduction purposes.

Arrange a visit

Call to arrange a visit.

Benefits Visiting Centre
Telephone: 01229 404242

After you have applied

We aim to assess your claim within 14 days of receiving all the necessary information.

Find out how we calculate how much Housing Benefits you could get

Find out how you can appeal or help make up any shortfall in the amount of benefits you're getting.

Check another post code