Report a dead animal

We are responsible for removing dead animals from road verges and council owned beaches. This does not include privately owned land, coastline or parish council land.

How to report a dead animal

We will need to know what type of animal it is, its size and condition.

Please also tell us the exact location:

  • in a town or village: the postcode, street name and number of the nearest house
  • in a rural area: the road or area name, name of the nearest farm or house or any significant landmark

You can use what3words to tell us the location of the dead animal. Use the map on the what3words website.

We cannot collect animal carcasses on private land.

Barrow area

To report an animal carcass phone the Waste Service department.

Waste Service department
Telephone: 01229 876543

Eden area

Request the removal of dead animal online

Report debris or an obstruction on the road

South Lakeland area

Request the removal of a dead animal

If an animal is blocking the road and requires urgent attention please telephone Highways on 0300 373 3306.

If you see a dead farm animal

Report dead farm animals to Westmorland and Furness Trading Standards animal welfare team

Report a car accident with an animal

Report a dead or injured animal if you hit an animal on the road, as you need to tell the police as quickly as you can, whether the animal is killed or not.

Telephone 101 to call the police.

Government advice on what to do if you hit an animal on GOV.UK