How it works
Your applicable is compared against your income and capital to work out how much housing benefit and council tax reduction you receive.
Your applicable amount varies depending on your age, the size of your family, and any special needs you have (for example whether you are disabled).
The applicable amount has three main parts, these are:
- An amount for you and your partner – your personal allowance
- An amount for any dependent children – your children's personal allowance
- A premium - an element which you may qualify for to cover any special needs you have
When applicable amounts do not apply
These do not apply if you are on
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
- Universal Credit
- Guaranteed Pension Credit