Make a claim for Council Tax Reduction

Find out if you're eligible and how to make a claim for Council Tax Reduction (sometimes called Council Tax Support).

Eligibility for Council Tax Reduction

Anyone who is liable to pay Council Tax and is on a low income can claim Council Tax Reduction.

You cannot normally get Council Tax Reduction if:

  • you, or your partner together have more than £16,000 in savings - unless you receive Pension Credit (Guaranteed Credit), Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based) or Employment and Support Allowance (Income related)
  • you are not one of the liable people for Council Tax (your name should be on the bill)

Make a claim for Council Tax Reduction

If you pay Council Tax and share your home with someone who is on a low income

You might be able to reduce your bill if you live with other adults but you’re the only one responsible for paying Council Tax. This is called the Alternative Council Tax Reduction (usually called second adult rebate).

Find out more about the Alternative Council Tax Reduction scheme

How we work out the amount

The amount of reduction you can get depends on:

  • your savings
  • how much money you have coming in
  • your personal circumstances (your age, whether you have a partner, how many children you have, whether you are disabled and whether you have other people living with you who do not depend on you for support)
  • the amount of your Council Tax

If you are on a low income, your Council Tax bill may be reduced.

You normally don't pay Council Tax if you make an application for Council Tax Reduction and receive:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Guarantee Pension Credit

Find out how we calculate Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax reduction scheme 2024 to 2025 (PDF , 1.54MB)