How we calculate Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction

What is considered when you make a claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction.

If you rent from a Registered Social Landlord

Your benefit will normally be calculated using your full rent charge, unless you have services included in your rent such as care and support, heating and lighting.

If you are working age (under the age to claim State Pension Credit) and you have more bedrooms than you need, the rent used to calculate your Housing Benefit will be reduced by:

  • 14% -  if you have one extra bedroom too many
  • 25% - if you have two or more extra bedrooms

The number of bedrooms you are allowed are the same as for private tenants.