Types of rubbish and recycling bins

Types of household and communal bins, bags and boxes in the Barrow, Eden and South Lakeland area and what to put in them.

General rubbish bins

For household rubbish that we don't collect for recycling.

What you cannot put in your general waste:

  • rubble
  • building waste
  • bricks
  • concrete
  • vehicle batteries
  • paint cans
  • oil cans
  • trade waste
  • hazardous waste (including gas bottles, paint and chemicals, clinical waste, syringes)

Most of these items can be taken to your local Household Waste Recycling Centre.

Find out how to dispose of:

Types of bins and bags in each area

There are:

  • general rubbish bins are used in the Barrow area
  • blue bags in the Eden area
  • grey waste bins in the South Lakeland area

Check your collection day

You can also check how to prepare your waste for collection.

Buy gull or vermin proof sacks in the Eden area

The hessian sack can hold several blue bags and should only contain household waste.

Gull or vermin proof sacks with a sealable lids are available from:

Westmorland and Furness Council

Voreda House

Portland Place


CA11 7BF

The sacks are £12 each.

If lost, stolen or damaged, you will need buy a replacement from us.

How to prepare your sack for collection

You should make sure:

  • you tie your blue bags before placing them in the hessian sack
  • the lid on the sack is closed
  • you take your sack back into your property after it is emptied

You may also wish to mark your house number on your sack.

Sacks must be placed out for collection by 6am.

If you need a replacement bin

You can order a new bin online in the area you live in.

Order a new bin