We are investing £480,000 to improve the condition of Langwathby Bridge on the A686 and the road surface through the village.
17 August 2022 - update for week 4. The work is progressing well and is on schedule. 483m of concrete was poured into the bridge deck and all the joints have been cut and sealed. Minor adjustments have also been made to the footway on the East side of the bridge to allow for safer pedestrian passage.
The road is closed at Langwathby Bridge to the Shepherds Inn for 8 weeks until 23 September 2022.
During this time, from the Shepherds Inn to the junction of the B6412 Culgaith the road will also be closed for up to 2 weeks, due to resurfacing works. The exact dates for this work are still to be confirmed. Access for local businesses and affected residents will be arranged with the contractor.
The works include:
- a full depth reconstruction of the road foundations from the bridge for approximately 100 metres towards the village
- resurfacing from the bridge to the junction of the B6412 Culgaith
- works to resolve the long-standing issues with the bridge deck on structure
The timing of these essential works is to ensure optimum curing time for the bridge materials and to tie in with both the:
- environmental working window for main river works
- school summer holiday period, to keep disruption to the school run to a minimum
The coast-to-coast route will be unaffected and a safe way through the works for pedestrians and dismounted cyclists will be maintained. A fully signed diversion will also be in place throughout along with 'open for business' signage.
For more information on the progress of this project, go to:
- Your Cumbria
- Cumbria County Council Highways Twitter account @CumbriaHighways
- Cumbria County Council Facebook account
You can call us if you have any questions.
Phone: 0300 303 2992.
Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm.